Net Holding prepares joint bid for Turkish national lottery

turkeyiGaming Business – Turkish regional services sector holding company Net Holding is reported to be preparing a bid for the country’s national lottery (Milli Piyango) in partnership with Hitay Yatirim Holdings and with games solutions firm Scientific Games as an operational services provider.

According to the Bloomberg news agency, Net Holding will have a 90% stake in the group while Hitay will hold the other 10%.

Net Holding confirmed in a public filing that Scientific Games will be signed as a service provider before the bid is tabled.

Two people familiar with the bidding process have suggested that UK National Lottery operator Camelot Group and interactive gaming software and service provider GTECH could also compete for the licence, which could be worth up to $2 billion (€1.5 billion).

An auction for the rights to operate the lottery will take place in June with prequalification criteria due to be submitted this week.

The auction was due to take place in January of this year but was cancelled amid political unrest in the country.

In 2009, Turkey dropped plans to privatise the lottery after two bidders were unable to meet the $1.6 billion minimum asking price.

Capital city Ankara instead opted to sell licences for games operated by the lottery.

Related Stories from This Week in Gambling:

  • Turkcell pulls out of Turkish national lottery tender iGaming Business - Turkish mobile phone operator Turkcell has announced it will not participate in a tender for the country’s national lottery despite having reportedly considered a joint proposal with gaming and lottery operator Intralot. Turkcell’s majority-owned subsidiary Inteltek […]
  • Big Changes Ahead for UK National Lottery UK National Lottery operator Camelot has unveiled a number of major changes to its Lotto game. From October of this year, the game will feature an additional 10 balls, with players having to select six balls from a total of 59. Camelot said Lotto will also offer larger rolling […]
  • GTECH awarded 10-year National Lottery of Belgium contract iGaming Business - Interactive gaming software and services provider GTECH has been awarded a 10-year online gaming, systems, terminals and integration contract to provide end-to-end services for the National Lottery of Belgium (NLB). Under the contract, which is due to begin this […]